Saturday, November 5, 2011

My Top 20 Books and Why You Should Read Them

If I tagged you in this, it is because I know of your interest in books and think you might be interested in at least one of them. They are of all sorts, and for all ages, so take it with a grain of salt. They are listed in alphabetical order, by author, and there are five honorable mentions. Enjoy!

1. “Watership Down,” by Richard Adams - This is what should be considered an old classic and is considered so by many. It creates a whole new culture for you to consider and examine, and it will forever change the way you look at rabbits. It is one of the few books that I have immediately loved. It is easy to enjoy by someone of any age, and it is also a good story to read aloud as a family event.

2. “The Lost Choice,” by Andy Andrews - Andy Andrews is an author I would recommend to anyone. His stories always contain a mix of history, morality, and the affect one person can have upon another. This particular one focuses on how your choices can dramatically affect history, and he uses great detail of people in history to explain this, using the stories of Oskar Schindler, John Adams, and George Washington Carver, just to name a few. This can be enjoyed by someone of any age but would be better understood and appreciated by young adults and up.

3. “Pride and Prejudice,” by Jane Austin - Another classic! This is definitely geared toward women rather than men, but both can enjoy it. It is extremely humorous, witty, and complex in it’s exploration of characters. It will be a harder read for people who are not used to the style of that time, but it gets easier as you read more of it, so it is worth the patience!

4. “Fire By Night,” by Lynn Austin - This is by a contemporary author who enjoys combining her stories with history. This particular story is about two women during the Civil War: One who becomes a nurse, and one who enlists in the army, disguised as a man. It is a romance, so it is geared towards women, but it’s take on the times is very interesting, and it’s message is important. I would recommend it to anyone who likes history, especially if they have an interest in the Civil War and the way things were during that time.

5. “The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic In History,” by John M. Barry - This is actually a history book, not a novel. I read three books on this subject at once, and this was my favorite of the three. It reads like a novel, and it is not heavy on meticulous descriptions. It talks about not only the influenza pandemic, but it also describes the world economy and politics at that time, and will really open your eyes. It is amazing to read, and rich with details. If you are easily worried or made nervous, do not read this book. Otherwise, I would recommend it to adults, not children.

6. “The Murder of Tutankhamen,” by Bob Brier - This is another history book/not a novel. This was my introduction to Egyptian history, and rightly so, as Brier is one of the leading Egyptologist’s of our time. Even though Brier’s theory of King Tut’s murder has recently been proven to be impossible, it is still filled with history and interesting facts about the culture and people of Egypt. I would recommend it to people of every age, especially those with interest in mysteries and history.

7. “And Then There Were None,” by Agatha Christie - This book is also known as “Ten Little Indians” and is considered one of Agatha Christie’s best works, closely rivaled by the mysteries involving Poirot and Miss Marple. If you expect it to end like the movie, you will be surprised. It is not like the most common mystery, which is why I think I love it so much. Christie is known for writing mysteries that no one can solve, and this one is no exception. I recommend it for any age, though I think it would be better enjoyed by older readers interested in mysteries and good twists.

8. “Blink,” by Ted Dekker - Ted Dekker, as many know, is my favorite author of all time. His books often contain elements of mystery, suspense, romance, and spirituality. This book is about a woman from the Middle East, trying to run away from an arranged marriage, who ends up needing the help of an American man who has visions of possible futures. The book contains the arguments they have about God as well, because she is Muslim, and he is an Atheist. The book is written in such a way that it explains how God can be omniscient and still give us free will in a way that is easy to understand, so if you’re confused about that element of faith, read this book! Good for any ages, but especially young adults and up.

9. “The Circle Trilogy,” by Ted Dekker - Yes, more of Dekker! This trilogy, I think, can be compared to the “Chronicles of Narnia” in that it creates the stories of Creation, the life and death of Christ, and life under the new covenant, in a new world, much like Narnia. What makes it even more awesome is that it combines this with a completely different story about a possible biological terrorist attack in the present day. You just have to read it, because I could gush about it on and on. I recommend this most highly to adults, though it is certainly okay for any age. If you like mystery, a bit of romance, adventures, thrills, and a good scripture lesson (J), read this trilogy. I recommend this higher than any other book in this list.

10. The Sherlock Holmes mysteries, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - What can I say? Doyle probably created the most iconic detective in history, and he created a good one. I have enjoyed Holmes since I read “Hound of the Baskervilles” when I was eleven or twelve. The short stories are amazing, as are the books, and I would recommend him for the bright minds of any age, especially as an introduction to mysteries for children.

11. “The O’Malley Series,” by Dee Henderson - I was given the first three books in this series by my sister-in-law and had all seven books in the series read within a month. They are, quite frankly, captivating. They can be a bit predictable, but the characters are unforgettable, the plots are very creative, and you never see the same thing twice. I enjoyed, especially, the fact that each character was so different. You see a firefighter, an FBI agent, a forensic psychologist, etc. These are recommended if you like romance, mystery, and a thriller. More written for women, young adults and up.

12. “American Anthem Series,” by B. J. Hoff - Hoff was the first romance writer I ever read, remains one of my favorite authors. This series is about the story of a woman whose sister died while married to a blind, 19th century, Italian composer, leaving behind a little girl. The story is captivating in it’s fill of culture, history, and romance. It is a beautiful series, and I recommend it to young adults and up who enjoy romance.

13. “A Wolf Story,” by James Byron Huggins - This story is, in many ways, similar to the approach C. S. Lewis took in creating Narnia with animals as God’s creation, in place of Earth and Man. I found the book to be creative and ingenious and devoured it from front cover to back. I would recommend it to any age and think that guys especially will enjoy the way that wolves were used in the story.

14. “Les Misérables,” by Victor Hugo - If you are not used to reading direct translations, which can be very hard to read (And I know for a fact that Les Misérables is one of those books), I recommend that you read the adaptation done by Jim Reimann. It is done extremely well and stays true to the original. This story is so beautiful and tells a powerful story of grace and forgiveness that everyone should hear. I recommend it for any age, but especially for adults. It can be very moving and uplifting for those who read it with an open heart.

15. “Left Behind Series,” by Jerry Jenkins and Tim Lahaye - I expect to get groans about this one, because many people have problems with this series because they do not have the same ideas as the authors; However, if you move past what you don’t agree with, this 12 book series is found to be done incredibly well. It is full of unforgettable characters and speaks the message of a saving God. I recommend it mostly for young adults and up. Children may have difficulty with the violence and understanding the doctrine of the series.

16. “The Chronicles of Narnia,” by C. S. Lewis - I’m sure that it was guessed that these books would be mentioned, as I have already mentioned them twice. If you enjoy fantasy, wit, and creative genius, I highly recommend these. Lewis writes like no one else, and these books can be a real treat for anyone who takes the time to enjoy them.

17. “The Twilight Saga,” by Stephenie Meyer - If you keep up with any hype these days, you will have heard of these books. I only read them because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about, and I found them to be extremely fun to read. The plots are creative and original, and the characters are unique and lovable. They are addicting and easy to get into. I recommend them to women of any age, though some men, who enjoy a good romance, will also enjoy them.

18. “Piercing the Darkness,” by Frank E. Peretti - This book was my introduction to Peretti, and it is a work of art on paper. Peretti creates a very visual example of the great effect that prayer can have on people and a community. It is an interesting way to look at prayer, and one of Peretti’s better works. I recommend this to adults and mature teens.

19. “Where the Red Fern Grows,” by Wilson Rawls - I got this book on audio tape when I was very young, and it quickly became my favorite. I listened to it so much that one of my brothers finally hid the tapes. It still makes me cry every time I read it, but I never grow sick of it. Rawls is a very visual person, and this heart wrenching story can take your imagination to some of the most beautiful places. It tells the story of dedication between a boy and his dogs as they grow up together. It contains stories of sacrifice, love, and hard work. This book was written more for boys, but I recommend it to anyone of any age, especially if you enjoy a story with real heart.

20. “The Harry Potter Series,” by J. K. Rowling - Ah, the great controversy of whether of not it is wrong to read these books! Okay, I can understand the problems that some people have with these, but I think that you should decide whether or not you read these based on your own conscience, not what others tell you. I read all of these within five months, and I actually read the entirety of the last one the day it was published, so, obviously, I don’t have a personal problem with the books. I find them funny, creative, thought-provoking, and, overall, a joy to read. The characters are wonderful, and the story is so intricately woven throughout the seven books, you wonder how Rowling managed it. I recommend these to anyone and everyone who enjoys fantasy, mystery, and just wants a laugh.

Honorable Mentions:

~ “Island of Saints,” by Andy Andrews - If you like reading about history that you’ve probably never heard of, read this book. This is a true story about a couple that Andrews met and turned into a book. It talks about the German submarines that were sinking American ships during WW2. I recommend for all ages, though young adults and up will especially enjoy them, especially if there is an interest in obscure history.

~ “Daylight and Nightmare,” by G. K. Chesterton - This is a collection of several short stories, and it is incredibly interesting. Chesterton can be hard for many to get through, because he writes about deep subjects in obscure ways. If you can get used to his style, he is very fun to read. I recommend him most highly to adults.

~ “Bud, Not Buddy,” by Christopher Paul Curtis - This book is so funny I was in tears as I read it. This heart-felt story of an orphan boy, trying to find his grandfather, is very touching and uplifting. I love all of Curtis’ work, but I have a special place in my heart for this book. I recommend it for all ages.

~ “Redeeming Love,” by Francine Rivers - This story is an adaptation of the story of Hosea, in the Bible. It is very well done and a touching story. Rivers has done many adaptations like this, but this is my personal favorite. I recommend this for mature women.

~ “The Lord of the Rings Trilogy,” by J. R. R. Tolkien - I’m sure that most will be shocked (or annoyed) that this was not in the top 20, but it is what is to me. The story is wonderful, and Tolkien is brilliant, but I have a hard time reading him. I like reading dialogue, but Tolkien spends pages and pages of description. I can’t concentrate on that for very long, so it takes me quite a while to read through his books; However, as I said, he is brilliant, and so are his books. I love them, even if they are hard for me to get through. I recommend them to young adults and up who enjoy fantasy.


Okay! There are my top twenty, or rather, twenty-five! And I didn't even mention Wodehouse or Poe! Movies will be next! As you can see, I am a reader. Most of these either are layered with history, are literature, or they are funny. All of them I have read at least twice, and some of them I have read closer to twenty times, or even more than that. Books are a wonderful was to escape somewhere for awhile, and these books are the ones that I found the most riveting. So, look over my list, see if there is one that interests you. If you want to know more about one of them, or want my complete list of my 100 top books, just let me know! And, if you want to take the time, you can tell me your top 20!

No comments:

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: Steadfastness in the face of trouble." Ludwig van Beethoven
"It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everyone else and still unknown to himself." Francis Bacon
It is a mindless philosophy that assumes that one's private beliefs have nothing to do with public office. Does it make sense to entrust those who are immoral in private with the power to determine the nation's moral issues and, indeed, its destiny? .... The duplicitous soul of a leader can only make a nation more sophisticated in evil. ~ Ravi Zacharias