Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Great Romance

“Since by man came death by Man came also the resurrection of the dead.” 1st Corinthians 15:21



"Then Eustace realized that dragons are snake-like creatures, and snakes can cast off their skins. ‘I can't get it all off.’ ‘You will have to let me help you.’” Voyage of the Dawn Treader, by CS Lewis.



These two things have been going through my head all week and have caused a train of thought which strikes me quite strongly. There is this idea of Christ coming in a way that I had not considered, before.



“Of course; He came because He loves us, right? We are His children, and He wants to win us back, right?”



Well… yes… but that is not how I see it, anymore. It was the phrase by Aslan that changed my perspective:



“You will have to let me help you.”



Woah! Do you realize what that means? That means He came because He wanted to help us! He is God. He could have given us instructions that would not involve Him becoming a man. He could have avoided hunger, pain, death, and everything, quite easily. You might argue that He prophesied His own coming. Of course! And that’s why He came! But what if He had never made such a promise? The Bible does teach us that God is omnipotent. This being so, He could have chosen quite a different story.




“So what?” What did Aslan say? “…let me help you.” Jesus wants to be here with us. He wants to be a reality that we can hear, touch, taste, and see. He wants to be a personal presence. God wants to be the one. I mean, do you have any idea how utterly amazing that is? God wants to be among us. It was also the only way He could do it. Why? God cannot be in the presence of sin. As a man, He was able to do so. He made a real effort to be known to us as completely as possible, we who betray and crucify Him daily. How incredible and wonderful He is. I feel as though I have not completely explained what I’m trying to say, but it is such a beautiful message, I had to try.

No comments:

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: Steadfastness in the face of trouble." Ludwig van Beethoven
"It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everyone else and still unknown to himself." Francis Bacon
It is a mindless philosophy that assumes that one's private beliefs have nothing to do with public office. Does it make sense to entrust those who are immoral in private with the power to determine the nation's moral issues and, indeed, its destiny? .... The duplicitous soul of a leader can only make a nation more sophisticated in evil. ~ Ravi Zacharias