Saturday, November 5, 2011

I Hate Pop Music

In a recent conversation with my father (recent meaning in the past five months), we were discussing classic “hippy” music and other music from the 70’s which my father so enjoyed. I’ve been exposed to and love quite a bit of it, and I was sharing with him some of my irritation with how little regard it is given – especially since it is such a staple in the United States’ history. My father pointed out, with some disgust, that at least the music of that age – despite the trashing it often receives these days – meant something. People were trying to spread messages to other people about what was important to them politically, spiritually, and socially. As he said this, I did not challenge him, but I did wonder: do the singers who are popular today still express “the issues” as they did in the 70’s? Has that desire to influence been lost?

First, it is important to note exactly what is important to people during this age. To name several issues off the top of my head: sexual liberties (a freedom to express your sexuality without fear of discrimination – I am not only referring to gay rights but also to the feminist movement and similar movements), animal and nature protection/rights, self esteem (the need to feel beautiful, important, and completely in charge or your life), carpe diem (the freedom to live how you want to, even if that means being an alcoholic or living on a constant high), the need to be number one in someone’s life (to be in love – even if with someone who isn’t right for you or doesn’t want to be with you), and being rich (the ultimate goal is to be powerful with as little effort as possible). These are, in my estimation, those issues which are most important to this generation, whether they be right or not

I took my thoughts even further. Music for my father’s generation was meant to represent that generation, and what they represented was clear in their music. Even if my generation isn’t singing about the issues which are important to them, what messages are they sending about what is important? What will people be studying in fourty years and saying: “What the heck were they on?”

To answer my own questions, I pulled two albums: one of a feminist and one of an openly homosexual male who are considered two of the top artists in America. They are performers, they are singers, they are 21st century American icons: Christina Aguilera and Adam Lambert. I decided to pay close attention to the messages these two artists are sending to other countries, this generation, and the next generation. The albums I pulled were “For Your Entertainment,” and “Bionic.” If you read further, please take note that I will be referencing lyrics which may be offensive – containing language and sexually explicit phrases. It is my intention to prove to you that this generation of pop singers is attempting to indoctrinate certain beliefs into this generation and the next through their music. They use crude, blunt methods to get their points across, and it is my hope that you will see the dangerous power to which we expose ourselves and others.

Now, I have spent a lot of time listening to both of these albums. I am intimate with each of them partially because I have a sister who enjoys listening to this sort of music. I do not wish to insult her or anyone else by saying that listening to this music rots your brain, but I will say that I hope you come to understand how influential the music you listen to can be.

First, I will pick one song from each album which I believe addresses one or more of the issues I mentioned and discuss each in some detail.

From Adam Lambert’s album: “For Your Entertainment.” This song cannot be played on the radio because of the sexually vulgar lyrics. Some songs, you can just bleep out a few words, and it’s okay, but not with this song. This song describes, in great detail, the sexual encounter of two people. We are not told the sexual orientation of this “couple,” but that is the only vague thing about the lyrics. There are three things especially disturbing about this song: There is an intimation that the performer has seduced or trapped the other person into the sexual encounter. Things are said like: “There’s no way you’ll ring the alarm,” “no escaping when I start,” and “I’ma hurt ya real good, Baby.” Although it is never directly said, it is implied that this experience is not completely consensual. Second, there is a hunger – a need – for complete power and dominance: “It’s all right, you’ll be fine, Baby, I’m in control. Take the pain, take the pleasure; I’m the master of both.” Thirdly, and probably most disturbing, this seduction and hunger for power are combined and portrayed as a gift to the victim: “Ya thought an angel swept ya off your feet. Well I’m about to turn up the heat; I’m here for your entertainment.” What is a person to say? Hey, I’m being molested, but I’m sure entertained!

From Christina Aguilera’s album: “Vanity.” Here’s another one you won’t hear on the radio. It is full of crude sexual references and language. The basis of the song is that the singer is so amazing, she can live life within herself, regardless of what people think of her. Again, I have three things I want to point out which are particularly troublesome in this song: Right away, you are brusquely told that the singer is clearly the star of… everything. The singer makes some startling claims such as: “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the flyest bitch of them all? Never mind, I am… ain’t nobody got shit on me; I’m the best for sure.” Secondly, there is a complete disregard of anyone who might think little of the singer: “Hit up Prince Charming, telling him give me a call. Never mind, screw him… I make myself so much wetter… Can’t love no one else ‘til you love yourself, and if they don’t like it, tell ‘em get in line and kiss your ass… It’s me. Bow down; get on your knees.” Obviously, this person needs power, and she isn't shy about her self conceit: "And now I take myself to be my lawfully wedded bitch." Lastly, the performer claims that powers are her birth-given rights, and she can do with them as she wishes. Having this power means she will live forever in the memories of later generations: “V is for vanity. Every time I look at me I turn myself on… thank you, Mom and Daddy… and the legacy lives on, going strong. Let us not forget.” The song ends with the singer asking: “Who owns the throne?” You hear the voice of her baby son saying: “You do, Mommy.” In an interview, Aguilera was asked how she felt about her son hearing her singing such music. Her answer was that she wanted her son to be aware and appreciate the powers and rights of strong women. Hm…

If you flip through the other music of these two artists, you will find more themes that draw attention to what is important to this generation: “Everybody’s looking for some love, but they don’t know how to let it all hang out, and that’s why they’re solo” (Lambert: Strut). “Step in the light for your perfect close-up. Be superficial; it’s your one shot… it’s all an attitude” (Aguilera: Glam). “I know every apple here ain’t bad, but I found a worm in every single one I had. Boys, they’re only good for fruit – I mean bananas… oh, boys, you should pack ‘em up and ship ‘em out… I hate ‘em” (Aguilera: I Hate Boys).

When people study our music, years from now, what will they see? Will they know about the politics of the time or will they see the true desires of a generation? I’ve come to agree with my father: music used to give important messages in an attempt to better the human race. This generation, however, is all about self satisfaction. I gave you two horrible examples, but they are in no way the worst, nor are they uncommon. If you think you can handle it, try listening to the entire Aguilera album and feeling uplifted or hopeful. Perhaps try turning on the radio and finding popular music which isn’t focused on being on top.

I tried.

No comments:

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: Steadfastness in the face of trouble." Ludwig van Beethoven
"It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everyone else and still unknown to himself." Francis Bacon
It is a mindless philosophy that assumes that one's private beliefs have nothing to do with public office. Does it make sense to entrust those who are immoral in private with the power to determine the nation's moral issues and, indeed, its destiny? .... The duplicitous soul of a leader can only make a nation more sophisticated in evil. ~ Ravi Zacharias