Saturday, November 5, 2011

It's Worth It!

I found this among some other papers while doing some Spring cleaning. I wanted to type it up and share it - to give an idea of why I love my job so much :).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a hard day at work. I take care of a little boy with Down Syndrome, and he is not very happy with me. Every forty-five minutes, I have to drag him to the 'potty' as part of his potty training. Today, he fights me, thinking that surely there are more exciting things to do! After long minutes of encouraging and bribing, he finally sits on the toilet. Relieved, I let him do his business. I'm tired, and I've been sick for several days. This constant fight in the bathroom really wears me out, and I find myself wondering if it is really worth it.

A minute later, I hear the toilet flush, and he comes out to me, showing me that he needs help fastening his pants. As I kneel to do this, I praise him for being such a good boy. "Thank you," I hear myself say, even though I find myself wishing he weren't so difficult.

I then look into his eyes and can't help smiling at the innocence I see there. He smiles back, surprising me by wrapping his arms around my neck and hugging me tightly. It is in this moment I remember why I doing this. The love this little boy shows through smiles and embraces makes me forget how tired and sick I am. I feel cherished and wanted. Yes, sometimes I will get frustrated, but then I'll remember that I love this little boy, and he loves me back. That makes every moment worth it.

No comments:

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: Steadfastness in the face of trouble." Ludwig van Beethoven
"It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everyone else and still unknown to himself." Francis Bacon
It is a mindless philosophy that assumes that one's private beliefs have nothing to do with public office. Does it make sense to entrust those who are immoral in private with the power to determine the nation's moral issues and, indeed, its destiny? .... The duplicitous soul of a leader can only make a nation more sophisticated in evil. ~ Ravi Zacharias