Friday, July 4, 2008

Words of Wisdom...

A famous apologist once wrote, "If you treat something like an animal long enough it will eventually become one." I use this theory when doing child care. This may seem odd to some, but I've observed that children learn what you expect of them, and then do exactly that and often nothing more. If you don't expect a child to respect and obey you, the child will often do just what you expect.



I take care of a Down boy, and he is very special to me... I do my best to treat him like I would any other child. I expect him to behave, help me with jobs around the house, to be kind, etc. He knows this, and as a result I have gotten a lot of joy in the job. We have made some advances too! He will eat anything I put in front of him, which is something he won't do for anybody else, including his parents. He tests me sometimes, to see if he can get away with disobedience, but being firm is something that I am very serious about.


What you expect of people says something about you... It's an interesting thought.

No comments:

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: Steadfastness in the face of trouble." Ludwig van Beethoven
"It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everyone else and still unknown to himself." Francis Bacon
It is a mindless philosophy that assumes that one's private beliefs have nothing to do with public office. Does it make sense to entrust those who are immoral in private with the power to determine the nation's moral issues and, indeed, its destiny? .... The duplicitous soul of a leader can only make a nation more sophisticated in evil. ~ Ravi Zacharias