Sunday, July 20, 2008

When Your Choice Affects the World

I have recently been observing and thinking about the profound difference it makes in the life of a person when they except Christ. Most of my siblings have made this choice, which is a great blessing, and in one, particularly, I have noticed a great change.

One was my second brother. I was always attached to him because he was partial to me, but I didn't like how he would get upset over silly things; Like me leaving a towel on the bathroom floor, or taking my shoes off and not putting them away. Once I remember doing just that, and he got so mad at me. "Why can't you put your own stuff away? Do you think other people want to pick up after you?!"
Then one summer I noticed a drastic change in him. He was less likely to get angry with me for silly things, and when things turned out bad he took it with grace. I especially noticed it when I went with him to a house he was building. He dropped one of those guns that can be used to fill up cracks, with a white sort of glue in it. The glue sprayed all over the room, and I expected him to blow. I waited for it, and it never happened. Instead, he laughed! Not because he thought it was funny, but because he was disgusted. I knew then that my brother had changed. He reacted to things differently, and now I never feel nervous that I'll do something wrong when I'm around him.

If I was affected this much by one persons choice, how many others did my brothers choice affect? And if his choice makes such a difference in the lives of others, how many more are affected by others that have changed. It makes me wonder why there aren't more Christian's, if this is so....
There is something profound! This tells me that Christian's are messing up! If people can't tell the difference between a Christian and a non Christian they will never know what a Christian is. If they never know what a Christian is they can never make that choice. God says that we know a Christian by their fruit. In other-words, I'm not a Christian unless people can tell that I am different than the average Joe. So what does that tell you?

No comments:

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: Steadfastness in the face of trouble." Ludwig van Beethoven
"It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everyone else and still unknown to himself." Francis Bacon
It is a mindless philosophy that assumes that one's private beliefs have nothing to do with public office. Does it make sense to entrust those who are immoral in private with the power to determine the nation's moral issues and, indeed, its destiny? .... The duplicitous soul of a leader can only make a nation more sophisticated in evil. ~ Ravi Zacharias