Sunday, July 27, 2008

Do It With A Prayer

I just did another concert today... For those who don't know, I sing. It is a gift; not something I worked to get or bought from someone. Saying this I also say, most humbly, I sing pretty well. I boast of nothing I do not have in Christ, and this is true to the greatest extent.
I have to admit that I was not always humble about it. God had to show me that it was a gift, not something I won, in a way that humbled me greatly. I won't give any details, but suffice it to say I was greatly embarrassed at my big-headedness. God has shown me much since then, and though I can't say I showcase very well, He has shown Himself through me in the most amazing ways.

Something I've never told anyone about my singing is that I always pray and give my song to God before I sing. I do it several times, actually, depending on the amount of preparation I have. I just let God sing through me. I know this may sound very superficial and silly, but I've never felt like it was me singing after I started praying about it beforehand. Before I would struggle to show off, but now I leave it completely up to God what my performance will sound like. If I sound terrible, I can say it's His fault :)
After I started praying beforehand I noticed a difference in my singing that was probably unnoticed by others. If I forget to pray, it is noticed by others, whether they say so or not.

Tonight I prayed so hard. My music was out of place for the concert, because my style was very different... But I gave it to God, and He gave me His Spirit, just like I knew He would. The result? I believe Mom said, "They were transfixed as soon as you started."

All the glory and the honor belongs to my Father.

No comments:

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: Steadfastness in the face of trouble." Ludwig van Beethoven
"It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everyone else and still unknown to himself." Francis Bacon
It is a mindless philosophy that assumes that one's private beliefs have nothing to do with public office. Does it make sense to entrust those who are immoral in private with the power to determine the nation's moral issues and, indeed, its destiny? .... The duplicitous soul of a leader can only make a nation more sophisticated in evil. ~ Ravi Zacharias