Friday, July 4, 2008

Special Abilities Children

There are many terms used for people/children who are mentally unbalanced... Strait retarded, which is considered unkind; Special Needs, which could be seen as insensitive; Special, which I see as something someone says when they really think the person in question really isn't that special... Slow... "Not all there"... It seems endless. I prefer to call them Special Abilities children. I'm not saying that all of them are prodigies; but they have a way of communicating that I find different from anyone else. There is an innocence in it; a love; a thirst to prove themselves; a forcefulness that others, who don't have experience with them, might find frightening.

The boy I care for is a very "in your face" child. Despite his awkwardness he has a sense of fluency in the way he moves. And when he gets in my face, just to annoy me, I can feel the aura of affection and love in everything he does to drive me crazy. This ability is amazing to me. The pure genuine way he communicates is part of what I love about him. Sometimes I wish everyone I knew was so straightforward!

No comments:

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: Steadfastness in the face of trouble." Ludwig van Beethoven
"It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everyone else and still unknown to himself." Francis Bacon
It is a mindless philosophy that assumes that one's private beliefs have nothing to do with public office. Does it make sense to entrust those who are immoral in private with the power to determine the nation's moral issues and, indeed, its destiny? .... The duplicitous soul of a leader can only make a nation more sophisticated in evil. ~ Ravi Zacharias