Friday, August 22, 2008

Be A Hero

Today I got back from work exhausted! I was so tired I felt dead on my feet. Unfortunately, my church had a work day planned. I was ready to go, but no one showed up. Yes! I thought. I can relax! But it was not meant to be. I asked my mother, like I believe every dutiful child should, if she needed anything done, since she decided to clean the church anyway.
"You could clean the kitchen." She said it with a smile, that showed she was teasing. But I could see in her eyes that she was half serious, and really dreading when she would have to do it herself, when I was at work the next day. We had just torn our house up so that the carpet could be stretched, and the kitchen hadn't been cleaned for days. Needless to say, it looked like a tycoon had just celebrated it's birthday in there! Groaning to myself I decided that I would surprise her and clean it up.
For two hours I scrubbed the kitchen from top to bottom, washed the dishes, put things away, rearranged... It was crazy. She wasn't upstairs at all until I was almost finished, just starting to mop the floor.
When I was finally done, I sat with a satisfied, "Done!" Mom looked at me with relief.
"You're my hero."

If going out of my way just a little bit, despite my aversion to the task, I made someone's life so much easier, I can only imagine the impact it would have if everyone did. I was my Mom's hero today, and I want to be someone elses tomorrow. Go be a hero! Make someone's load lighter. Pass on a smile!

No comments:

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: Steadfastness in the face of trouble." Ludwig van Beethoven
"It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everyone else and still unknown to himself." Francis Bacon
It is a mindless philosophy that assumes that one's private beliefs have nothing to do with public office. Does it make sense to entrust those who are immoral in private with the power to determine the nation's moral issues and, indeed, its destiny? .... The duplicitous soul of a leader can only make a nation more sophisticated in evil. ~ Ravi Zacharias